Thursday, June 9, 2011

The Life & Times of My First Ear Infection

The Life & Times of My First Ear Infection

To start off with, I woke up with a tiny bit of an ear ache yesterday but went ahead and made a well woman appt with my doctor for today and figured I would just mention it to him when I got there.
I went over to my friend Natalie's house for the afternoon/evening and hung out with her and her daughters. I brought home made lemonade, that seemed to be a pretty big hit and we talked about(originally we were supposed to do our sundial umbrellas) starting a Farmer's Market and doing a Craft Night and have decided the next time we hang out, we will discuss that further!

Homemade lemonade for Natalie's!

It was a really awesome time and I'm glad I've met her an Ann Louise, who I only met because of Natalie, really! They're both very interesting people that I can learn a lot from <3

I looked at the time and it was getting pretty late, and I should have been in bed soon for my morning appt with the doctor. A little after I had texted Josh to go ahead and come pick me up, I started feeling icky again. Nauseous, headachey, just plan ICK! So, we went to the After Hours Clinic in Magee. It was 9:20Pm, and they closed at 10:00Pm, we figured they would take us. We walked in there, I made sure that it wouldn't count on my insurance as an E.R visit(because that's a 150$ copay and I just do not have that kind of money!) and they explained that it would go as a regular doctor's visit, which I was happy about because that's a very small copay. Then, they told us "but we're not taking any more patients." WHAT? Are you serious? We were absolutely livid. There wasn't a sign that says they stop taking patients at a certain time or anything and I was in PAIN.
So, we went to the store and just picked up some sinus medicines and ibuprofen and I figured I'd stick it through the night. That worked, until I woke up this morning. I cancelled my appt as a well woman appt and just switched it to a regular appt because this felt like something that just couldn't be mentioned in passing.
What that After Hours clinic did not ask, was what was wrong. It took my doctor about 10 minutes to look in my ear, look in my throat, ask me some questions, tell me what I had and send my prescription off. It would have been about 9:30 by the time, had the After Hours clinic taken me. He prescribed me 2 different drops, a pain one and an antibiotic one and they seem to already be working so I'm happy. I called into work today because I just could not stand for the measly 4.5 hours that I had for a shift, but I can hardly stand going from the living room to the bathroom without having to grab onto something, so I'm taking it slow today.

The Life & Times of My First Ear Infection

Living in a small town and going to a small town doctor means that while yr supporting yr local economy, yr also sitting in agonizing pain in the 2nd waiting room because people like to talk, they like to know what's going on, how's yr family, how's yr mom, didja hear didja hear.
I'm not big on doctors, so when I go, anyone who knows about it, knows that I'm REALLY in pain. But this doctor..he was different. He'll be my OBG, for my well woman exams and my regular practice doctor as well. He didn't give me any lectures on my weight, he didn't talk about my blood pressure(because it was considerably high due to being sick) and we didn't talk about diabetes running in my family. I have never been to a doctor like that before. It was an enjoyable experience, to say that feels like the world should be blowing up right now. He prescribed me 2 different drops for my ears, one being a pain drop and one being an antibiotic and a note excuse from work for today.

The Life & Times of My First Ear Infection

The Life & Times of My First Ear Infection

The Life & Times of My First Ear Infection

PS: The good part about all of this means that I can cross number 18 off of my "24 before 24" list which was get a lady doctor! A lady doctor meaning, a doctor for my lady parts. I am calling tomorrow to reschedule my well woman check up and then a mammogram.

No comments:

Post a Comment